Saturday, February 13, 2016

Adult Coloring Review part 1

Konichwa,
       This Life post is about review the new phenomenon, the Adult Coloring pages/books.  First off here are some benefits that the scientist say Adult coloring has:
1. Non-drug "perception" for stress in the form of relaxation.
2.  Help with a number of emotional and mental health issues such as: obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety, stress disorders, depression, eating & binge eating disorders, anger management issues, and substance abuse issues (just to name a few).
3. Strengthens focus, problem solving, and motor skills
4. Promotes positive vibes
5. Coloring utilizes both sides of the brain, right and left.
6. Therapeutic
7. Bring back nonchalant memories of Childhood

    Now this a review of what I have colored myself via Barnes and Nobles' All-American Art Unwind day. Now as an artist I view things like these coloring pages as a good thing to challenge myself in various ways such as limiting myself to one set of coloring utensils.

Okay this was the featured coloring page of the event. I had fun with this one limiting myself to just my Prismacolor Verithin color pencils (36 count)
    I felt this parrot design had just the right amount of detail in order to be a challenge, but not so much that it became a "pain in the butt" to finish. Relaxation factor: High. I found it pretty relaxing being the first one I've done.

 Colored using Sargent Art Brush Markers, Prismacolor Premier Fine Line Markers (0.5), Staedtler Triplus Finliner (0.3) 10 count minus 2 marker pens, and Staedtler Lumocolor permanent (F 0.6) 8 count minus 1 marker pens. 
      This Live a Posh Life! page is very whimsical design, I personally love the flowers and the smaller butterfly on this page. However I found the larger butterfly a little odd, and what's up with the bird on this page? It just looks out of place since it is the only one on the entire page! It would be okay if there was a part of another bird or a smaller bird somewhere else, but it just looks like "well we didn't want another large butterfly, so let's paste a big fat bird there since we have too many flowers." Okay....personally I would have add another large butterfly or another heart there or a ladybug because we have one cut off by the top of the page, and it looks more in place than that bird. Alright enough about that, relaxation factor on this page: I give it a high score here. Besides that bird, the overall design was very fun and relaxing to color.



 Colored with Prismacolor Premier Double Ended markers (various colors).
    Another Life a Posh Life page, this book design was fun and relaxing. First off I want to say I connected with this design with my liking of reading. The overall design is simple and repetitive without being to much. With this design, you could easily color one style of books altogether and then go on to another set. Or you can do it like I did and keep most of the books colored the same way only changing only a few things here or there. Relaxation factor: Very High! The simplistic design made this one very relaxing to color, almost mind numbing if you will. I was able to forget about my day while coloring this one at night sitting next to my husband watching Netflix. I even colored the background on it! And I'm not one for enjoying backgrounds.

 
Colored with Staedtler Triplus Finliner (0.3) 10 count minus 2 marker pens, Staedtler Lumocolor permanent (F 0.6) 8 count minus 1 marker pens, and Prismacolor Premier Double Ended markers (various colors).
    Peacock design from Millie Marrota's Tropical World book. This one has been my top favorite page so far. It's very simple as just a Peacock! No super complex patterns, no whimsical note here, just a simple illustration of the bird. It was very relaxing and easy to color. the only problem wasn't even because of the page, it was my coloring devices.

Colored using Sargent Art Brush Markers, Prismacolor Premier Fine Line Markers (0.5), Staedtler Triplus Finliner (0.3) 10 count minus 2 marker pens, Staedtler Lumocolor permanent (F 0.6) 8 count minus 1 marker pens, and Prismacolor Premier Double Ended markers.
       Large Cat design from Millie Marrota's Tropical World book. I found this one okay. A bit of a challenge and not too messy of a design. I found the mosaic pattern of the cat to be a little overwhelming, yet what I did made it more manageable. So I put this one in the middle depending on how you decide to color it. Relaxation factor: average.

Colored using Prismacolor Premier Fine Line Markers (0.5), Staedtler Triplus Finliner (0.3) 10 count minus 2 marker pens, and Staedtler Lumocolor permanent (F 0.6) 8 count minus 1 marker pens.
        Pineapple design from Millie Marrota's Tropical World book. I liked this one not too tedious, only downside was I was coloring this one while trying to get over sickness and allergies, which is why the pineapple top is so colorful. Relaxation factor: hard to rate do to coloring opportunities. Overall I think this is a good coloring page. It lends itself well to media tools such as fine tip markers, marker pens, permanent markers, and gel pens.

One Final Note: Overall I do not recommend color pencils for these if you are much more than a novice at the art of coloring. I found with a few of them that I either did use them on or started with them, that I became very frustrated due to the small details where I felt like I was going to sharpen the pencil down to nothing in order to get sharp color and clean color in. Prismacolor markers and the Steadtle Lumocolor marker pens tend to bleed out a bit. And the Prismacolor markers can also bleed through the page, which is a problem I had with the peacock page which has the pineapple design on the back of it and similar with the big cat's nose.

And with that concludes my first part of this review of my journey into the realm of Adult Coloring. Till part 2- FoxCat ya later

No comments:

Post a Comment