Friday, February 26, 2016

You Can't Reference This!

First off I want to point out that we are in a post modern art era, this means as far as the world of art critics are concerned there is nothing new under the sun. Now, I have a "problem" in the fact that I can look at something and draw it. For instant, I spent most of my time of my upper elementary days at craft sales with my parents drawing Pokemon cards and now I can draw that style so well that I have to be careful. 

















Likewise with Digimon which I was into during the same time:


I didn't trace either one of these but some would claim I did. I've been attacked with this over and over again and again, it's not my fault that people think I'm stealing what already there. Sometimes I feel it's a curse, due to the fact that I also seem to have the gift to remember references and can recreated them just as easy as looking at a reference picture. As I did with this one:

I've had to drop out of a few contests because of these two "curses" or note up and down that I didn't know about the original or didn't copy/trace. Personally, I hate having to fight for my abilities as an artist. 

-Next up is the fact that you cannot copyright a pose or an outfit. So many times I've been forced to remove my art due to "it's the same pose as so and so's character." or "So and so's character has an outfit just like that and that character's been out longer." So on and so on....



This one was a request/commission drawing for a good friend. And the pose happens to be from Manga Mania: Chibi and Furry Characters. I've done a few with this pose and I never claimed it to be my own, yet the very first one was blasted over copying the book and stealing it. I never once said that I was and I did give credit to the book.









This one is a prime example of being picky over looks and clothing. I was creating an older version of a baby character in the Naruto manga series. As I was taught in science class in school and started combining characteristics of the two parent characters. Then I added the color scheme of her parents and a habit of one of them. I happened to use the same pose of the same character that the other artist who created a similar character of the same idea. Other people harped on it while the actual artist of both girls didn't care and thought it was kind of cool that we created similar characters for the particular baby character. Since my kunoichi, female ninja, was uploaded to the internet later, I was nice to the "brats" and removed her.











Next up is the flak my OC (original character) Pyro gets from time to time. She's not a clone of Flannery, the Fire Gym Leader from Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald. So what if I "copied" her hair so to speak. There's a story behind it, that fits, but does anyone read comments?! No that would be too much work. Anywho, I've revamped her so she doesn't look this way anymore because I felt like I was feeling like Pryo got less of my love than my other characters.









Keep in mind, this one is really old. I was young and inexperience at creating character for series when I first created, Kimiko Haruno, and well she wasn't much but a "twin" cousin of Sakura Haruno. I didn't even know how to put her into the story of Naruto. And this little couple picture of Rock Lee and Kimiko was the start of all the hostility of the Sakura look-a-like. Eventually, she got her own style, story, and personally, but she was never Sakura. Kimiko was always Kimiko who might have looked like her cousin.
And now this is what Kimiko looks like with how Rock Lee looks in my universe. Very different from her cousin and in her alternative universe version of the Naruto plotline based around the role playing I did with her and the actual story.
Another prime example of pose stealing blaming is this lovely picture of Kimiko and Lee shedding tears for the fallen:
Who in there right mind think that I copied this pose?! How do couple consult each other over sadness? Not in this "copyrighted" pose that's for sure. 

-Lastly we have the topic of what are called bases and screenshot editing. Bases are pixel dolls of existing art that can be edited by other people via drawing over or "clothing" them in a digital drawing program. I have even tried them out back when I wanted to do digital art, but was limited to MS Paint. Yeah, it wasn't pretty back then, but it did help me grow as an artist with it.
I'll admit to bashing screenshot edits, but I do hold a higher standard of art than most of what I have seen of these on photobucket. First off I have no problem with bases as a tool to help with poses,  anatomy, or clothing. And well, my first impression with screenshot edits were not the good. I know I wasn't good at creating my own characters, but there comes a point of being stubbornly lazy. If you use a schreenshot at least give credit where it's due for the original and try to make the character look different. Like this screenshot collab I did:

 I bet you couldn't even tell what the original characters, looked like. Did you know that this was a screenshot of  Lucy and Juvia from FairyTail. I even added my Exceed (cat), Azure, to the picture.

Last thoughts are on all of this you can't reference is this is this if I can't reference poses then what about these: 
Well they might be similar yet different, I don't claim the original I only used it as a reference. References are tools that help you improve, and as long as you have the desire to progress then go forward! And always be yourself no matter what.

-FoxCat ya later

No comments:

Post a Comment